Friday, 26 October 2007

The accidental PB - 500m in 1:26.8

I shocked myself today with a new PB for 500m! Very pleased. The session was 6 x 1' flat out. I thought I would set up a 500m first, and if I felt I could hang on once I got to 60 seconds I would go for the PB. I also picked up on IronAr$e's version of his recent massive PB for 500m and tried for a half slide fly and die approach. The last 150m was somewhat painful but I knew I had been so quick in the first minute that I had a chance at the PB. As usual, my heart rate was dropping in the last split (why?).

Split Distance Time SR End HR
1 100 17.2 52 153
2 100 16.8 46 178
3 100 17.2 42 184
4 100 17.5 44 184
5 100 18.1 43 176

500
01:26.8


My previous PB was 1:27.1. This is my third PB of the season - last season I set them at will it seems. Like young cricketers, I am having a much harder second season! But I am really pleased with this time today - it puts me in the top 8% for my age group according to Concept 2 and is a 900+ score on nonathlon.

I did 4 hard 1 minute sessions after this but never got my heart rate higher than the mid 170s in each one. I was splitting in the 1:35-1:37 range. I aimed to do 5 x 1 minute but on the last one really went for it and popped after 30 seconds...

I am also chuffed that my new pace prediction utility got 300lb's 2,000m time within 0.6 seconds. Now, was he influenced by my prediction? I think we need a double-blind study...

Metres today: 8,520

No comments: