After a few days off with a cold, another go at the CTC, aiming for a 1:35.x result. Perhaps not the best thing to come back with, but it was a minor cold and I could have rowed.
The first three got progressively harder, but I managed (according to the PM3) 1:35.8, 1:35.8 and 1:35.8. Going in to the last 200m of the fourth I was in unbelievable agony but remembered Evesham and just kept on pushing. With 50m to go I had a 1:35.8 split and was screaming every stroke - counting down to the finish.
To my enormous annoyance I counted wrong and when I opened my eyes after the last stroke I still had 8m to go. My split went from 1:35.8 to 1:36.0 in that 8m - rather like John's mistake on his CTC piece. I think if I had made one more stroke I could have got at least 1:35.9 which would have been psychologically nicer!
I was absolutely spent and the pain in my legs and lungs was pretty impressive. Much worse than Evesham when I felt quite good after 5 minutes. I could barely stand. I am very rarely like this after a row. Maybe I need to work harder? According to RowPro my heart rate maxed out at 180. My TR is 182, I was supposed to do 6 x 2' TR today. That sounds like a very tough session - my 4 x 1:36 pieces did not get me in to TR once!
Anyway, I am back in to Free Spirits II on ctc, which is nice.
I read on Free Spirits blogs about JanetS's problems with the rain in Cheltenham. It has been awful down there and today we received an evacuee! My 16 year old cousin has come to stay so he can drink water and shower. He'd been missing both (is he a true 16 year old I ask myself). Since he has also finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows it has been great to talk it over even if MBH has had to avoid us! My cousin has been doing some rowing for rugby training and seems keen to do some rowing now he is here.
Metres today: 5,046
No comments:
Post a Comment