Monday, 4 February 2008

Pete Plan: 4 x 2,000m - 2nd go

After the last effort at this, my target was 1:47.7 split for all pieces. Since I have been rowing well, I decided that I could probably go a little faster. BUT, I have had a sore back since fighting my 2 year old daughter in to her car seat, and it was very cold in the rowing room so I went off conservatively.

I was using only the PM3 - the film I was watching on the PC was very jerky and I put that down (probably wrongly) to the fact RowPro was running. I have never rowed reps on the PM3 only and this was to bite me later.

At the start of the first rep I was fighting to sort out the TV volume but eventually I settled in to a rhythm and posted a 1:47.5 split. I could have gone faster but once bitten on these Pete Plan rows! The second was much smoother and I came home in a 1:47.4 split. The third was hard but I got home in 1:47.3.

Now, I was intending to go for a sub 7 on the last rep. But I was watching an interesting programme (Horizon on gravity), gasping for breath, posting my scores in my spreadsheet and on ergscores.com and before I knew it it was time to start. I hastily popped my feet in, took a moment to compose myself and set off at 1:43. To my horror the average split said 2:10! I had set off late. RowPro does not do this, but the PM3 had and I had not noticed on the other rows, since I set off bang on time. I was panicking and trying to work out how to adjust the time as I rowed. I was cruising along at 1:43/1:44 and was clearly going to go through 500m at well under 1:45 place. I decided to watch the time at 500m, assume I had really done a 1:44 and subtract the seconds from the final time. I am not an Olympic athlete and felt that being punished by the extra seconds would not be conducive to my progression! Anyway, I went through 500m with an average split of 1:46.x, so held the idea of "3 seconds" in my head. It was probably more, but I didn't want to over estimate. The last rep was hard! Bathed in sweat, but I probably rowed splits of 1:44/1:46/1:47/1:43 and would have beaten sub 7 if I had done things right. In the end, with a heavy heart I posted a 1:45.3 split (rather than the 1:46.1 I finished with). I will nail sub 7 on the last next time. And the time after that I guess I will be targeting sub 7 on the last two? 4 x sub 7 with 5' rest is becoming a realistic future target I think. With the competition on Free Spirits I am being towed that way for sure. The Pete Plan is very well thought out for progression and confidence.

Metres today: 10,025

No comments: