Wednesday, 16 July 2008

Glorious Evesham followed by a 500m PB

Evesham was fabulous. From the Free Spirits forum thread:

I had a really good day. The only minor downer was being too late to get an XL tee-shirt which at 1:30pm was a bit disappointing.

My race was late in the day, but everyone staying on was brilliant and the support was excellent. Bangers again put himself behind my right ear and knew what to say when. Spamuel gave me the "minute to go" call again (I was waiting for that and it really helped!) and I dug in to get a 3 second PB.

For once I warmed up at the right time (doing 3391 and finishing exactly 30 minutes before my race). Unfortunately this meant I missed Peter's race.

My plan was to go out hard for the first 400 odd, then "cruise" at 1:40 or better until the average split came back down to 1:39.0,then try and hold it there until 250m to go when I would go for it.

I really, really wanted to stop with about 400 to go but was too embarrassed, so hung on in there. My finish must have been OK (don't remember much) since I got the split down to an eye popping 1:38.4 - the time was 5:16.7, well inside my PB and much better than the "sub 5:19" I was hoping for. Bangers said I should have got one more stroke in but I don't think it made much difference. I was pretty wrecked.

My kids found it a "bit boring" apart from when I was racing, but Tamsin enjoyed it (I think). Having Costa coffee near by helped a lot there I think, as did having Spamuel there with Lea (sweeeet) and his wife who's name I have forgotten (for the 8th time - sorry). There were are few wives and partners there which was great! Sadly, I was so busy filming and talking tactics that I hardly met the partners of our various rowers and hope to put that right another race day.

Seb was awesome - we were somewhat aghast when Bangers said he was going for 2k-5 but he was brilliant. Mike G did a painful fly and die, but held off the favourite for a long time, and his "die" was when he slipped to 1:38! With better pacing (tracking Peter Marsdon?) I think he would have got very close to 5 minutes.

Races that stand out are Alan tracking World Record holder Rocket Roy Brook and Woj (12 seconds faster than he was expecting AND he didn't fall to the floor this time). Roger and Stan were there usual strong and steady selves, and Stan rocked home in a new PB too.
Evesham is a really great competition to go to.

Three days off as a reward then back on the erg for a 500m PB attempt. After the row a week ago I was a little more conservative, and did not go for home too soon. This was a good idea since I fell apart completely (arms and legs completely powerless) in the last 50m but clung on to a PB by 0.1 seconds. Pleased by this, but I am certain that sub 1:26 is possible with the right preparation.

Metres today: 5,500

No comments: