Wednesday, 30 July 2008

A failed hour and a fulfilled hour

A couple of days ago I tried to do an hour under a split of 2:00. I thought that 1:58.5 would be OK. Alas it was not to be. I was mentally OK, and my super dooper new "drink on demand" system (two camel packs hooked on the wall) was working well. But I just stopped with no warning! I suspect the body was weak. I was sweating buckets and it was the hottest day of the year.

So last night I tried again, this time I thought under 2:00 would be good. Two years ago at about this time I managed a 2:00 split for the hour for the first time and was very very pleased. Then my heart rate was over 180 for 30 minutes, I still can't believe that but it is true. There is no way I could sustain that now. Today I settled to 1:59.7 which appeared to be the right split to get a season's best. With 9 minutes to go (I forgot to change the nonsensical 3 minute splits in RowPro) I headed for home and found I was pretty strong. I averaged about 1:52 for the last 9 minutes, and just didn't have the oomph to get 15,200m, ending up with 15,181. I was pretty pleased with this given the failure two days before.

Metres three days ago: 10,598
Metres yesterday: 15,181

No comments: